Home > Transit > PSA Recycling to help speed RapidRide – What PSA would *you* add?

PSA Recycling to help speed RapidRide – What PSA would *you* add?

January 13, 2012 Leave a comment Go to comments

With the upcoming demise of the Ride Free Area in Seattle, there will be at least one opportunity for a bit of recycling…  Of a Public Service Announcement. Yes, I know Metro could simply add more PSAs to this list, but just for fun, lets assume the total number of PSAs bus drivers can choose from is limited. (After all, do you really want your bus driver searching through a long list to find the PSA he or she is looking for?)

When the Ride Free Area is discontinued later this year, the “Have your fare ready before exit” PSA will no longer be necessary.  I’d like to use this slot for an educational message on RapidRide routes that explains how to speed boarding at RapidRide stops.  This announcement would encourage back door use for exiting and for boarding when you have a valid fare – such as a transfer or an ORCA card that has been tapped at the curb.  Even several months after the start of Rapid Ride service on the eastside, I *still* have passengers crowding to get onto the front door so they can tap their ORCA card or show me a transfer. The whole point of RapidRide, especially at crowded stops, is to get passengers to use ALL of the doors.

At stops where passengers “get it”, things work well – I stop, open 3 doors, and 10-30 people stream on and off of the bus in less than 20 seconds. (140th Ave NE & NE 8th in the morning is a great example)  Adding this PSA would also allow announcements in other languages although choosing one or two from the diversity of languages spoken along the B Line might be tough.

But that’s my view from my little slice of the world, how about you?  What PSAs would you like to hear?

Categories: Transit Tags: ,
  1. Carl
    January 13, 2012 at 3:01 pm

If you need to transfer. would you tap your ORCA before the bus comes or wait until you board the bus? Are there ORCA readers at all doors? You get a longer transfer window if you tap on board the bus – the incentive is not to do it before, isn’t it?

• January 14, 2012 at 12:50 pm

There are only ORCA readers at the front door of the bus and at the curb of busier RapidRide stops. If getting the maximum amount of transfer time possible is important to you, simply wait by the reader until you see the bus coming. Once the bus stops, tap your card and then board at any one of the three doors. If that extra 10-15 seconds of transfer time is *that* important to you, by all means be the last person to board at the front door and tap up there. That said, if everybody does that it defeats the purpose of RapidRide, but thankfully most people are content boarding at the back doors.

• Carl
        January 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I’m pointing out reasons people aren’t adopting ORCA and doing things to make transit operate efficiently. You’re of course right, tap when you the bus arrive. But if you don’t see it, or dwell times are long, maybe the selfish thing to do is board last and tap then. This isn’t about me, I havent yet ridden an RR bus. I have, however, several times been charged a second fare on my ORCA which I thought was a transfer.

Still think we need a one day pas

2. January 14, 2012 at 1:38 pm

After the Ride Free Area is gone, I’d like the new PSA to say “please exit through the rear doors.”

• January 14, 2012 at 1:41 pm

We already have “You may exit through the rear doors”. This is the PSA I use most frequently and typically have it queued up and ready to go.

3. January 14, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Still think it should change from “you may” to “please.” 🙂

4. January 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm

With RapidRide rolling out to more places at the same time the RFA goes away, one for RR would be good. “As a reminder, this is a Proof of Payment bus, you must have valid fare with you while riding”. Kinda like Links reminder.