Home > Other > “B” is for “Beer”, “Black Raven”, and “B-Line Beer Run”

“B” is for “Beer”, “Black Raven”, and “B-Line Beer Run”

A while back I spent several days conducting “research” on establishments for a B-Line pub crawl event. Of all the drinking establishments I visited, the Black Raven Brewing Company was by far my favorite. Located in an office park a 1/2 mile from the B-Line, Black Raven’s taproom has all of their beers in a warm and relaxed atmosphere. They don’t serve food, other than free peanuts and pretzels, but you can have pizza delivered by Flying Saucer Pizza to enjoy with your fresh beer. (I think Zeek’s also delivers but that is unconfirmed, check with Zeeks and/or Black Raven). Lastly, you can get growlers and kegs to go. (A keg on the bus. Now that would be interesting)

To get there, take the B-Line to the stop at 148th Ave NE & NE 87th St in Redmond, just before/after the intersection with Willows Road. From the bus stop walk east on 90th and then north on Willows Road using the large sidewalk on the east side of Willows. Right before 95th turn east and scramble over the bark covered berm and walk into the parking lot next to the inactive railroad tracks. (This avoids walking along NE 95th which doesn’t have a sidewalk.  It’s also a shortcut since the driveway for Black Raven is located past the entrance to the Tap Room) You can also find directions here on Google maps.

This area isn’t normally someplace you’d think of walking around, given that it’s a bunch of office parks in a very suburban and car-dependent setting. But the sidewalks are wide and comfortable and it’s not that long of a walk.  If you bring a bike, Black Raven also has a small bike rack out front.  (Note: While biking while intoxicated is not technically a crime, it IS pretty stupid. Drink responsibly and be prepared to walk your bike back to the bus.)  If you’re up for a little transit/beer adventure, why not give Black Raven a try?

1. jwk
    March 2, 2012 at 4:46 pm | #1

I love the bus, I’d go to a B-Line Bar Crawl.

2. March 3, 2012 at 12:54 am | #2

So does the ramp or lift get deployed for bringing a keg on the bus?

3. nwwoods
    March 3, 2012 at 3:22 pm | #3

I love Black Raven, but I work in Canyon Park, and it’s hard to get from one outlying place to another outlying place via Metro. You basically have to go in to a hub, then back out again on a spoke.

The Metro Trip Planner says the fastest way to get to Black Raven is to take the 532/535 to the BTC, and then the “B” line back out again. It takes about an hour and a half in all. Ouch!

4. Hobbs
    March 14, 2012 at 4:02 pm | #4

If you go at the right time you can also catch the 930 which gets you even closer.

5. keithn
    March 19, 2012 at 9:23 am | #5

“While biking while intoxicated is not technically a crime”

you might want to revise that comment. bicycling drunk or over .08 is a guaranteed DUI. I know because I heard it from the a DUI sergeant in the SPD. Last week. This is a state wide law. As a cyclist, I’m very much aware of this rule anyway. Be careful out there.

That said, Black Raven is one of my favorite breweries in WA state. I got there every week or two.

• March 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm | #6

I’m not going to get into an argument about this as I’m not a lawyer. However, I’ve read many different articles, such as this and this and finally this one that lead me to believe that you cannot be convicted of DUI for riding your bicycle drunk. That said, it’s stupid and dangerous so I wouldn’t recommend it. As the last article states, you *can* be arrested for public drunkenness so it’s not like riding your bike drunk isn’t completely devoid of consequences.

• keithn
        March 28, 2012 at 8:46 am | #7

I think I spoke too soon. It appears that you are right about the DUI part. It turns out that depending on the level of impact, you can end up with charges analogous to public drunkenness as you mention, but it depends on the prosecutor and town/county. I spoke with the Asst. District Attorney for SPD last week concerning this and they’ll still get you :-)

As for Black Raven, a couple of us head there on Wednesday evenings occasionally. There’s actually, for food, a gal that supplies really good hot dogs from a cart outside to help soak in the Trickster IPA. At 7.7%, that beer is pretty strong and the ‘B’ route is the savior for a safe return home.